Monday, January 13, 2014

5 Years Ago Today

5 years ago today, I woke up feeling that something wasn’t right.  Even in the midst of the chaos that had taken place in the previous three weeks, this morning felt different. 

I called the neuro ICU unit where Chris was recovering from brain surgery to talk to his doctor.  He told me that he had just checked on Chris, that he was doing well and that he would be moved to a regular room later that day.  An hour later, a nurse from the unit called to tell me that soon after the doctor left, Chris became unresponsive.  He was having a seizure, they said.  Brain tumor patients often have seizures and they can sometimes last for hours.

Chris’s own doctor was in surgery by this point so I talked to the attending doctor several times who kept assuring me that this wasn’t that unusual.  Should I come down to the hospital, I asked?  It was snowing heavily again and I wasn’t sure if I should make the 30-minute trip with my toddler and newborn if this wasn’t that “unusual.”  By the time the doctor said that maybe I should come, my anxiety had reached an unbearable level.  My sister-in-law and I packed up my babies and we headed down to the hospital for what would be the last time.

Once there, I could see for myself this “seizure” Chris was experiencing.  Unconscious with only his left arm moving spastically every so often, I knew in my heart that this was more ominous than a seizure.  My sister had met us at the hospital and she forced me to go get dinner while we waited to hear from the doctors.  Sitting in the lobby, now along with Chris’s brother and a friend, I choked down some beef stew.  I was just biting into my apple when Chris’s surgeons came out from behind the doors of the ICU and walked toward me.  Time slowed down a bit as they came towards me and the apple fell from my mouth.  They didn’t even need to say the words and we knew the news they were about to deliver.  Chris had no brain activity, they said.  I gagged on the half-chewed piece of apple I still had in my mouth and started to wretch.  I stopped myself from vomiting only because I was half-screaming, “No! No! No!”  Half-screaming because I was aware enough to know there were others in the waiting room and I didn’t want to become a spectacle.

How could this happen when we had only learned he had two brain tumors three weeks ago? How could this happen when he had just had successful surgery to remove one of the tumors? How could this happen when he was doing so well this morning that they were ready to move him out of ICU?  How could this happen when we didn’t get a chance to say goodbye yet?  In the 22 days since we were told of our fate, I had imagined all the ways we would spend his last year.  There would be photos taken, letters written, and memories made.  And there would be goodbyes.  Lots of goodbyes.  This was not how it was supposed to be.

My sister starting making the calls to family and friends as a nurse took me to be with Chris.  I talked to him and recounted some of our favorite memories.  I told him we would be ok and that we would always love him.  That is what you are supposed to do, right?  In reality, I felt like my life was over too.  Within an hour, 30 of Chris’s friends and family members gathered in his small room.  Claire was baptized.  Chris was anointed.  Everyone said their goodbyes and left the room except for Chris’s mother, his sister and me. 


And then it was just Chris and I.  I laid my head on his chest and at 10 p.m. on Tuesday, January 13, 2009, my sweet husband took his final breath.  

5 years ago today, I became a widow.

8 comments:

  1. I lost my husband in April of 2009. His 60th birthday would have been this past Saturday. We had been together as friends first and then husband and wife since we were teenagers. It's till hard to believe that he's gone…Wendy, I feel for you and your children. Chris' death was so sudden and unexpected. HUGS to you, this 5th "sadiversary".

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend Wendy, tears have now filled my eyes. I love you, my friend... big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, I found this rather by chance tonight after exploring only one other blog from Widows Christian Place. I am sorry that you are your husband's 5th Heavenly birthday today. I am sure you sometimes feel it has been so long and yet like yesterday. It is so difficult to lost our best friends so suddenly. My husband will celebrate his 5th Heavenly birthday in June. With my sons, we call it daddy's heavenly birthday because he died in a car accident on our son's 3rd birthday. This seems to help us try to see the day as a blessing for Steven and for their dad. Even though it is bittersweet. I, too, have had some reassuring occurrences during dreams or in the odd in between state. They have been so encouraging and seem to come just when I have needed them. I like to thing they are ordained by God to comfort me, to give me, and to give me a wisp of my love. I pray that God continues to show you His and may He continue to be with you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry a few tears were in my eyes and there are some typos. Not my usual...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anything ever bothered you in life? Do you
    have any problem you need to solve? A pending
    court case you want to resolve in your favor?
    Health, relationship and finance. Welcome to
    the world of miracles and wonders, there are
    supernatural treasure and power to liberate
    mankind from all afflictions. Why cant you live a
    life of your dream? Why must you work so hard
    and yet earn so little? Why cant you be happy
    with the one you love and desire or why cant the
    one you love reciprocate and appreciate that
    love? Why would the doctor tell you there is no
    solution or cure to your problems? Why would
    your lawyer say you stand no chance, that your
    case is hopeless? Have you been cheated by
    anyone or those owing you money refuse to pay
    back? Do you need a rapid job promotion in
    your place of work? You want to venture into
    politics? Now I understand certain things are
    hard to believe and comprehend, but all I ask
    from you is only 3 days and if you will follow my
    instructions and use the items you will receive, I
    promise your life will never be the same
    again.If you find no relevance in the help I offer
    I solemnly appeals do not be vindictive and go
    in peace. And if your intentions are to take
    advantage of the powerful nature of our items
    for the purpose of evil, I will not have any
    business with you please be advised. May
    angels guide you. All inquiries should be
    directed to the Priest Abija email below Email:
    spirituallighthealing101@live.com or
    you can sent a text message to this number:(518) 303-6207!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God has been the difference in my own life during times of loneliness, heartbreak, and pain. I know too well what it means of not getting encouraged by others and the hurt that comes from that. I've found that only God always offer encouragement and hope, much better than any human can offer. I can only imagine how it feels to be widowed. I have the taste of having an emotional tie broken- I've gotten dumped in the past and it's hurt me so much in the past. The Bible teaches that a sexual relationship (whether marital or premarital) results in the man and woman becoming one body (refer to 1 Corinthians 6:16). I think this bond resonates to the spiritual level of their souls. I believe that even an emotional involvement (without having sex) also creates emotional ties, but probably to a lesser degree than sexual ties (which unites them as one body in a spiritual sense). Our bodies are connected with our inner being (soul, spirit, heart and mind). When our brain forms memories of things we are fond of (people, places, objects, etc.), our bodies long for those things when they are taken away from us. This physical longing resonates to our inner being. It’s all quite complex and mysterious of how our physical body and inner being operate in relation to each other. Rejection and abandonment are all painful things. King Solomon said that everything in this world is vanity, everything is meaningless- a chasing after the wind. Eventually whatever we gain in this world (relationships, success, wealth), we lose them all at some point. There is something you can never lose though- God. God surpasses everything in our lives. Our thirsting for things in this world (especially human relationships) is evidence that we need something greater than those things to satisfy us because everything except God will end up failing you in some way. God has promised us that He will never leave us nor forsake us. God can't die on us and leave us in a state of loneliness. God won't cheat on us, dump us and go off with someone else. Whenever you feel lonely or feel that you're missing something in your life- realize that God wants to fill that void in your life. So many times I've been ignorant about the Bible. We're trained from our birth to live by our senses- thus we look to perceive God with those senses. Most of the time, we can't perceive God with our senses as He is a spiritual being. God has wanted me to develop my spiritual senses and rely on His word (the Bible) to experience Him. I've learned to always see God's word as alive, powerful, and relevant for each day. When I've failed to see that in the past, it's robbed me so much joy and peace. I've learned to look at the Bible as a powerful and active gateway/portal to God. We can try to occupy our minds with so many different things in this world to try and fill the void in our lives or suppress the pain, but all of those things will keep us still hungry and thirsty. God has promised us that if we reach out to Him, He will give us rest, quench our thirst, and satisfy our hunger. If you haven't done that, I hope you will give God a chance. 1 Corinthians 6:17 states that the one who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. I think human relationships bond us in a powerful way (which is complex to understand), however, the Bible says that we can also be joined to God through our spirit (inner being), which I believe is even more powerful as God is the ultimate partner. God is an invisible Spirit who doesn’t have a physical body like we have. We have both a physical (the visible physical body) and spiritual component (invisible spiritual inner being). Hence, we need to seek out God with our spirit and be joined to Him as one spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Wendy,
    Thank you for this blog. My young husband died two months ago and we have three young children. I'm so touched by your honesty, reflections, and strength. May you and your children know great blessings. I will keep reading your comforting words. Never are we alone. -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete